Our court was built in 1905 by renowned tennis court builder Joseph Bickley for wealthy American businessman Charles Tuller Garland as part of Moreton Hall which was completed 4 years later. Bickley's highly regarded tennis court floor and wall finishes provided a fast and true playing surface.
In 2020 our floor was 115 years old and beginning to show signs of wear and the occasional dodgy bounce. It was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the floor by patching the cracks and if left untreated the floor could potentially have deteriorated further and posed a health and safety risk to players.
it was therefore necessary to look for a longer term fix for the problem and to restore the floor to its original condition.
Our team at Moreton Morrell started by looking at what makes a Bickley floor the ideal playing surface for tennis by studying the characteristics of our floor and other tennis court floors. We then tested a number of concrete mixes and polishes to identify the most suitable modern equivalent. We believe that we have identified a modern mix and polish that replicates both the playing characteristics of the original floor and also matches its colour so that the restoration is sympathetic to our historic building and lays a foundation for the next century of tennis.
The floor restoration cost the club c. £100,000 which we met partly from club funds and national and local grants. We asked members to help and, over an extended period due to Covid-19, have been running events to raise funds. We have also received donations from the wider tennis community and from the public,
If you would like to make a donation please contact the club.